Friday, August 31, 2012

The Awesome '90s

I love ‘90s music.  Today I was driving into work and this new radio station in the city played Third Eye Blind’s “Graduate.”  It made me so happy because not only is it a very old song but it’s not the typical Third Eye Blind choice of “Semi-Charmed Life.”  To note, though, I like that song as well but only if they play the entire version.  The radio version skips an entire section of the album version of the song.

If my husband saw this post he would totes make fun of me.  He had a roomie in college who loved TEB and he always made fun of him.  To note, though, I don’t just love Third Eye Blind.  I also am a big fan of earlier Bare Naked Ladies… like “The Old Apartment,” not “One Week,” and other ‘90s bands. 

I think this music reminds me of growing up and that’s why I like it.  It makes me sad that the new college class was born in 1994 so missed half of the decade of music (I feel like this post is exaggerating my love of this music but that’s ok and also all of the music that I refer to occurred in the late ‘90s so my point is kind of poor). Although, I don’t feel that you have to have lived through the creation of something to appreciate it.  I am a big fan of oldies music (referring to ‘50s – ‘70s, not ‘90s) and I feel that I can appreciate it.  But I don’t have the same feelings associated with it as I do the ‘90s because I don’t have specific experiences related to it. Like how “Everybody in the Club Getting Tips(y)” reminds me of freshman year in college (although I mean I totally was never in the club getting tips(y) my freshman year b/c I was underage and that would have been totally illegal!). Although, that is not a ‘90s example so let me think of one.  Semisonic’s “Closing Time” makes me think of my long-ago friend (except on Facebook, we’re totally Facebook friends), Tara.  We would sit on her deck and talk about what 7th/8th grade girls talk about… probably guys and people we didn’t like… so I guess not much different from what we talk about now.  We would always have on Q102 or probably what was KISS107, maybe Channel Z at the time (although that may have been alternative), I can’t remember. OH and get ready for this awesome example.  How Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" reminds me of the first dance I ever had with a boy (awkward! that song is like 27 minutes long and he was really hot and I was a complete nerd. we didn't talk or look at each other the entire time.). True story.

I’m now wasting time youtubing ‘90s music.  Jon is going out of town (again!) so I’m pretty sure that at some point this weekend you will be able to find me blaring some ‘90s and singing very, very badly, very, very loudly. Suggestions for songs to youtube would be appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment