Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How Louboutin's Changed Me :)

About two years ago I did the dumbest and one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever done in my life.  I bought a pair of $700 Christian Louboutin’s.  Now, I don’t feel like I NEED to rationalize this, but I WANT to.  Honestly, fiscally it was a horrible, terrible decision.  And quite honestly, I understand the probably 90 percent of people who see them can’t tell a difference between them and a $30 pair of Steve Maddens.  However, I didn’t do it for everyone else. I do not buy Coach bags and I don’t own any other pair of shoes that is even over $100… I actually cringe at spending $75 on every other pair.  These shoes were something I had dreamed about for years.  I fell in love with the red soles and had a goal that before I died I wanted a pair. I was going on a business trip to LA and knew that there was a Louboutin store there. Long story short, I left LA with a pair of shoes and a high credit card bill. Note that somewhere in there, there was panicking, sweating, stressing, freaking out,etc.

Two years later I don’t regret the decision.  Not only have these shoes brought a joy to my life that realistically no material item should bring, they have also brought along some other unexpected benefits.  One of the smaller benefits is that they have sparked conversations and have helped me relate to at least two people who love them as well.  The weirder benefit, though, is that they have opened my mind and caused me to be less judgmental. I know you’re thinking, ok, crazy lady.  How the hell do a pair of shoes do that to you? Well, let me explain.  When you buy a ridiculously expensive pair of shoes one must understand that other people judge you and feel as though you probably could have spent your money more responsibly.  And sometimes that can get slightly annoying.  Because it is my money, that I have worked my ass off for since I was 15.  I can spend my money on whatever piece of crap I want to.  I am not in debt (besides my house but I’m told that doesn’t count).  I have never needed anyone to pay for anything (except for my parents who let me borrow money to pay for my college tuition which I have since paid back but I also don’t think that counts!). I feel that you don’t have the right to tell me how to spend my money.  Which in turn, has made me feel that I can’t tell anyone else how to spend theirs.  I have been on that Coach-bashing train before.  “Who would spend $300 on a purse??!! That is so dumb.” I can’t say that anymore. I didn’t judge when a co-worker who lives with his parents to save money decided to join an extraordinarily expensive golf club. I don’t judge expensive car purchasers.  I feel more open to the thought that your money is your money and as long as you’re not inconveniencing anyone else with your decision then do what you want… thanks to a pair of shoes.

PS – This morning at work I made some comment about how I don’t like to waste money because I was being made fun of for using a flip phone (I know, I know. So ‘00s!).  The response I received to that was, Really? Red-bottomed shoes? J

No comments:

Post a Comment